Many high profile venues provide public address (PA) sound systems to bands and musicians for them to perform but there are locations that do not offer any PA systems. In such cases, musicians are expected to bring their own sound gears. Hence, it is very important to choose the best portable sound gears that easily fit into the trunk of their vehicles.
Let us understand what characteristics are needed to qualify as the best portable sound gears.
- Good power – System should be able to produce more sound from the low wattage amplifiers.
- Good mixing – System should be able to handle one or more than one channels and power a small band probably eight or more.
- Flexibility for inputs – System should be able to include inputs for mics, wireless receivers, jacks for instruments and microphones. Additionally, providing room for MP3 players and other playback devices is considered a plus.
- Provision for phantom power – This is optional except that some musicians prefer to use condenser mics.
- Good quality sound – Portable amplifiers are the best. With many such available in the market you must read the Roland Micro Cube review which states that it is a versatile amplifier with high quality sound effects that can function for hours on batteries and has the ability of total recall.
- Good equalisers – There are different types of sound equalisers, starting from 2-band equalisers. It is necessary to choose one that suits your need. For example a 2-band equaliser is good for controlling preset low and high frequencies, a 3-band equaliser on the other hand allows you to make tweaks between vocals and guitars, a 5-band or 7-band equaliser can be used to tailor the sound as per the performance and so on.
- Light in weight – The most important factor to check while buying a portable PA system is that it should be lightweight so that it can be carried around comfortably and does not occupy much space.
- Venue selection – It is recommended to try the PA system at different locations to get a feel of the performance before the actual show.
Overall, a good portable PA system should produce high quality sound and should be easy and flexible to use.